Sunday, August 12, 2012

Last Day of Treatment One

The nurses came in at 8 to take vitals and listen to Davins heart and everything. I was really mad because I wish they would have just waited a little longer until he was awake because he wasn't able to go back to sleep. He would have slept longer and I could have slept a little longer also. Davin was feeling great and wanted to go play right away. I made him wait until I was ready and then the first thing he wanted to do was do more art projects. He had so much fun with all of the art supplies. I have a bucket full of papers with random things all over them. We also played a lot of games that he got from relatives. We played dino bingo, a big floor puzzle and a fishing game. During the day was had a lot of people come talk with us about everything making sure we were ready to go home and we had numbers if we had questions or needed something. By this time my brain was so full I felt like I knew everything and nothing all at the same time. Everyone kept asking me if I had questions and I didn't know if I had questions because I didn't even know what I should ask. The social worker was really nice and kept telling me it was ok and totally normal to feel like that and kept reminding me that I can call anyone and they will answer my questions when I had them.

During the day, Davin was playing in his room and I went out into the hall to ask the nurse a questions and Elliot the therapy dog was there. He was there to see another little kid but the nurse told him he couldn't see the dog. Since Elliot didn't have anything to do I asked if Davin could see him. The nurse said yes and the trainer said "Where to?". Davin was excited to see Elliot. Elliot even got up on his bed with him. Davin sat and pet the dog and hugged him. He got to feed him a treat again and he had a blast having the dog hang out for a little bit.

One time when Davin was playing in the room he had gotten the tubes all wrapped up around the IV tower and then he decided it was a good time to climb up over the end of the bed. As he was coming up he was having a hard time and I tried to help him. As I lifted him up I felt the tubes pull and I realized he was stuck. When I looked at his chest I noticed that the needle had come out of the port. We had to get a nurse in right away and help us access the port again. It was really tramatic for Davin. He didn't even have any of the numbing cream on it. They did have a spray that makes the spot really cold so that it isn't as painfull but he still complained that it hurt. I felt really bad. It was too bad that he had one more dose of chemo to do or we could have left it out.

Davin had done so well with the chemo that the doctor told us that we could bump up his chemo another hour plus the two they were planning on so that he could start at 2 instead of 3. That was really happy because we were all ready to be home. We waited and waited for the nurse to come finish my teaching and give Davin the last of the chemo, but she was really busy with something and kept telling us she would be right in and it just took forever. About 45 min later we finally started the last dose of chemo and Davin was walking all over the room playing with everything. The nurse told me to just read the sections in the book that I needed to and sign the paper saying I understood the things I read and that would be the end of my teaching. That wasn't helpful at all! Luckily the nurse from the night before had talked about a lot of the information and I just looked up a little bit of things I needed some more info on. After the chemo was done Chad and I started to pack up and get ready to leave. We signed the discharge papers and were off. We left the hospital right in time for rush hour traffic.


We actually made it home fairly fast. When we got home we had a fun suprise left on the garage door. The neighbor kids had made a big welcome home sign and colored pictures on it. Davin thought it was fun. When I went outside to take pics he had to come out too and be part of the pics. That night Davin played with Liam and all the toys that he hadn't seen all week. We got to bed a little later than normal but we were all happy that we got to be together and not in the hospital where they were constantly waking us up. I did wake up in the middle of the night and checked on Davin. He had a full diaper so I decided to change it because I didn't want to deal with everything cleaning it up in the morning if it leaked. Davin is so use to having his diaper changed when he is sleeping. He doesn't open his eyes and he lifts up his bum and everything. It was kind of cute and sad. I'm just glad that he got a good night sleep.