Saturday, August 11, 2012

Day 2 of chemo

Davin had his scan at 8 in the morning so I woke up at 7 (when he had to get up and go potty) to get ready. He woke up at 7:45 and I thought it was the perfect time. When I went to ask about the scan the nurses told me that they weren't ready for us and that they would let us know when they were ready for us. At 8:30 the nurses told me that they would be ready at 9. We went down there an hour late and they made us wait in a waiting room forever. When we went back to the scanning room they started to put Davin to sleep and that takes a while and Davin needs a lot of med. to fall asleep. They had to use three different med. just like they did when he did his MRI and he finally was asleep. I got to stay in the room this time and watch. It was kind of nice to be with him and know what was going on. As he was falling asleep he peed and this time he didn't have a diaper on. It was a huge mess and we had to undress him all the way and that took a while to clean everything up and set it all back up. We finally got it all ready and started the scan.
When the scan had about 5 min left Davin started waking up. They gave him more med. to make him calm down and go back to sleep. As we were finishing and waiting for Davin's bed the tech was saying how we couldn't wait for the bed because Davin and I were late coming down for his scan and he had two people waiting to come into the room. That really frustrated me because we had waiting for an hour for them to tell us they were ready. The bed made it just in time and we were able to put him onto his bed and went back up to his room. We had a nurse that came with us to be with Davin and watch his vitals until he woke up. Because they had to give him more med. right at the end he was really asleep. It took him a long time to wake up. It was almost 12:30 before he was all the way to wake up.

Chad was at home with Liam all morning with my parents. When he was ready to come up everyone decided to come up and visit Davin. The boys were so happy to see each other. I love seeing how much they love each other. Davin showed them everything he had been doing and took Liam to play in the little playroom on the floor. He started doing an art project with my mom and Liam loved playing with kitchen. At the end they boys found little cars and were both driving all around the halls in them. After all the playing I got to go home with Liam and my parents. It took forever to get home. I had no idea that there would be so much traffic at 3:30 in the afternoon. It was nice to be home and relax a litle bit. At 6:30 I left and went back up to the hospital to stay with Davin again.

Chad was with Davin while they started chemo. He did great and didn't get sick again! He went to sleep great and I started my discharge teaching. I learned a ton and by the end my brain was so full. There is so much that you have to watch for when your child is going through chemo. It makes you really paranoid and you feel like you have to lock your kid in a bubble. But that isn't realistic so we just have to watch him carefully. The second night was so much better for sleeping. Everytime the nurse came it to make Davin go potty he had a wet diaper so he just changed it and I didn't have to really wake up at all. I got to sleep for 6 hours until Davin woke up and started doing his working noise. I finally asked him if there was something wrong and he said "no, I'm just singing a song." He kept doing it and I finally couldn't sleep anymore so I got up to try and rub his back and make him go back to sleep. I touched his side to help him roll over and found out he was drenched. We got everything cleaned up and got Davin back in bed and he went to sleep instantly. We got to sleep a little more until the nurses came in at 8 and had to check davin's vitals and woke him up.