Monday, September 24, 2012

MRI

On Friday morning I took Davin to Riverton Hospital to do another MRI. I love going there because they only have one patient at a time and you have a lot more one on one with the nurses. One of Davin's nurses was going to be in charge of giving him his medicine and watching him while the scan was going came in to access his port. They had asked if he was good when his port was accessed and I said yes because he is always a good boy for Cheryl our home health nurse. She came in and said "I have never accessed a port on a real person before. Do you mind if I do it or do you want her (she points to a nurse standing next to her) to do it. She has done a lot of them and is comfortable doing them." I knew Davin was a really good boy so I told her she could do it for him. She said "great" but I could tell she was a little nervous. She got all the supplies ready and started doing it. Davin was a perfect little angel and kind of walked her through the process while she was doing it. She did a great job and I think it is actually the nicest looking that he has had with all the dressings that they put on. Davin was great and still doesn't like to be put to sleep. He always fights it so much and they have to use a lot of med. The scan was long (about 1.5 hours)  and then the same nurse brought him to the recovery room. He took a while to wake up and I got to talk to the nurse for a little while. She was a very interesting lady. She has done a lot of things in her career. She graduated when they still had the white uniforms and nursing hats, so she has been doing this for a long time. She also said that she also got to be a life flight nurse for 30 years. Davin woke up and was great. He got to eat a little bit of a popsicle and oreos before we left to go get Daddy to go up to Primarys and talk with the Oncologists. It was just funny to me to think that the nurse that had done so much and made life and death decisions was the same nurse that was so timid doing the port access. It was fun to see her be able to find out it isn't that bad. :)